- Captain America was assassinated.
- The Red Skull almost took over the government until Bucky finally stopped him.
- The Initiative was created and operated under his watch, though mostly through the government's control, and was full of corruption.
- The Hulk destroyed most of Manhattan and nearly cracked the planet in half in WWH.
- Thor set up his kingdom in the middle of the United States and was granted Diplomatic Immunity after pimp slapping Stark around in New Orleans.
- The Mandarin was nearly successful in releasing the Extremis virus which would have killed 97.5% of the people on Earth (we could chalk this up as a win since Tony did come out on top in the end with little fallout from it to blow up in his face).
- Terrorists co-opted his technology to make suicide bombers in Invincible Iron Man.
- Then there is all the wasteful government spending (and according to the tea-bagger movement, this is the big concern here) like commissioning the hideous yellow-and-gold Helicarrier that was only successful at crashing in every issue it appeared in and always looked stupid.
- Plus Stark rebuilt Avengers Tower with Government funds after the Hulk wrecked it, so the Marvel Universe’s tax dollars went towards building a super hero headquarters and private home in downtown New York for Tony Stark.
- Skrull's invaded and easily took over the world by crippling its defenses through the use of Tony's Starktech, which he installed in every major system throughout SHIELD.
First, he purged the bloated and corrupt SHIELD and created a new organization, HAMMER, to police the world. He was able to bring several Atlantean terrorists to justice for attacking Los Angeles (though his means could be viewed as a little extreme, but well within national security methods in real life), formed a new Avengers team that actually did some avenging, unlike some other New and/or Mighty teams that sit around whining all year round.
Dark Avengers - They Actually Avenge Stuff
Worlds Most Wanted - Captured
Thunderbolts Black Ops Team
The Mutant Threat
He Ain't No Hitler