- I got to take my 18 month old son with me. He had a blast. It was his second FCBD.
- I was at my LCS, the awesome and incomparable Impact Comics and so many staff members said g'day and were on hand, on call, and on a high.
- My arms were full and I dropped my sunglasses. An employee picked them up for me instantly with a smile.
- At some stage later (I don't even honestly know when), my son's shoe must have fallen off. As I was carrying him, and the nappy bag, and a handful of comics, whoever saw it happen knew I was out of my league and so just simply placed the errant shoe into the nappy bag for me to find later when we were outside. How nice!
- Some lady dressed as some kind of Star Wars Imperial Trooper (I think...) smiled and talked with my boy. She also gave me the genius idea of fitting all kid's clothing with a massive back pouch just right for comics and iPads. I need to get on this, stat.
- Another Star Wars cosplayer (this time a jedi) gave my son a FCBD sticker and a smile.
- A massive thanks to Impact Comics for their displays around the counter. They got me to drop an extra $15 or so by having a cheap Avengers colouring in book where I could easily see it and a Vintage Pocket Book of Crime. Great salesmanship, well played.
- Overall, the atmosphere of Impact Comics was fantastic with tables on clear display and plenty of books to go round for everyone. There were loads of those Archaia HCs.
- Once outside, where I waded through my stash and fed my son, I saw another mother come out and go to another bench. She sat down with him and opened up the bags. She started reading the Archaia HC to him, including all the sound effects and silliness. It was unreal.
- I later saw two kids walking across the open mall who saw Impact Comics was pretty packed. One yelled, "Quick, before they run out!" and they both started running in there. Golden.
- I haven't read all the books but I really dug the 12 Gauge one, The Ride/Anti. The short story from Nathan Edmondson and Paul Azaceta for The Ride is insanely good. Brilliant, seriously, do not miss out on that book.
- Oh, and the Archaia HC has a new short from the Return of the Dapper Men world. I didn't realise this before. I am so happy now.
Saturday, May 5, 2012
Free Comic Book Day is one of the best days in the comic year. You walk into a store and you can score free comics. Not enough entertainment mediums do this. This year seems to be just as big as ever so we here at TWC wanted to make it as much a positive experience as possible. This post is all about the love. Go to the comments and give a shout out about FCBD. You can comment on which shop you went to, or which comic you dug on, or anything else FCBD that's awesome and you want to share. Hit the jump to see my positive thoughts already -- Australia is just winding down on FCBD -- and then hit the comments to add your own.
Here are my positive thoughts for this FCBD of 2012.
Alright, that's my positivity of the day, what's yours.
I spent over $70 in my LCS on this 'free' day. Did you drop some extra money to support your local gang in the know?
Hit the comments and let the love flow!