I got to talk with small press publisher Hope Nicholson last week about her new Kickstarter campaign BrokWindsor - Lost WWII Comic Book Returns! She's just as enthusiastic for this project (probably more) as she was with her last. With around 30 days left to donate the effervescent Nicholson makes a strong case as to why Brok is not only relevant but important to Canadian comics. She also touches on the trials of restoring a character that isn’t as well-known as other comic heroes.
SV: Your Nelvana Kickstarter was very successful. Do you have the same expectations, it seems that you might have hit your target audience for this book. Are you seeing crossover from your contributors?
SV: Can you walk us through the process of bringing a book like this back to life?
2. Determine if the estate and/or rights holders would be interested in having this project begin (they were).
3. Find the issues of the comic books, by hunting through archives and contacting private collectors.
4. Hope that the rest of the issues are found as the Kickstarter begins to raise attention (the last few were found this way).
5. Raise the funds to do the printing and publishing, and increase attention via a Kickstarter (current stage).
6. Restore the comic book pages to a printable quality (current stage).
Whew. That's a lot of steps.